Sunday, December 26, 2010

Six Years Back: My Tsunami Experience

Six years back: It was a regular day for me at Kanuhura. I was fast asleep and my colleague Moosa came and started shouting, 'It's a earthquake and something bad is happening'. I got up in disbelief as he usually makes this kind of pranks. When I opened the door it's real, water is coming to my doorstep. At first I thought this must be tidal waves, but this is something I have never seen before. To believe it myself I ran near the jetty and realized this is not normal and something wrong is happening. I can see people running everywhere. All of a sudden I can see water getting so shallow and can see the sandbanks coming up. Within few minutes there comes the big waves and all of a sudden wave swept across the island. Water was everywhere and people were terrified. It was something we have never seen before and never wanted to see again. Luckily nobody got injured from our island but there were some major damages to the property.

After this all we wanted to see was what's happening around and found electricity and phone network was not working. We never knew what's happening around until late afternoon when we found from TV what's happening...



No comments: